Hence ends the first year of IIT. The nerds are left with all kinds of experiences. Some have a really happy life with their Miss fortune while some are left with a CGPA that's definitely not worth boasting about. Some are left dejected after all their attempts go in vain while some are left with humiliating nicknames that stick on with them for the rest of their degree. While there are some nice experiences to share, most of the horrifying ones are dropped in the closet. 40% of both guys and girls in the campus are committed. There are the rest 60% for the taking. This process in turn gives a wondeful example of love, lust, frustration, strategy and long term investments. Of the remaining 60% of guys about two-third of them manage to find their love/crush/infatuation somewhere in the remaining 3 years which gives them the feeling that they have nothing left which can make the college life more rocking. The remaining 20% head into various directions- Some become frustrated lots with nothing to do, some just spend their whole time watching stuff on their laptop. Some who turn away from the world and think that everything is "moh-maaya".
BUT, the strategies that people develop to develop relationships are really commendable. But, more interesting are the ones who remain single. There are some who end up getting frustrated for all 4 years of their degree because they have been unsuccessful in all their attempts to hook up with batch-mates, seniors and even juniors. While there are others who leave hope after first attempt only and think of everything as “moh-maya”. There is also a small group which moves towards spiritualism and a similar number dedicates itself completely to the hard-rock metal bands and, like depressed souls, they keep screaming sad songs in a voice that is as hoarse as it gets. There are also lots of people who move around like free birds and take fun in doing all the senseless things of the world while there are some who become enslaved to the opposite sex. There are also some (of both sexes) who start showing traits of ‘Homosexuality'. Amidst all this, one can notice a handful of guys and gals who hardly make public appearances and are mostly seen roaming around the campus to contribute to the non-existent nightlife.
The second and third year sees commitment of 40% of the females present- 20% in each year. The peer pressure helps and everyone gets an inspiration to have a spouse. The mushy-mushy feelings start seeding up, ‘kuch-kuch hota hai’ and people start dreaming about a ‘happily ever-after’. The romantic songs start striking a chord in the heart and ‘Love is in the air’. Hence, the friends start realizing that they are more than ‘just friends’, the ‘just friends’ become ‘close friends’ which further develops into something more substantial in the following years. The density of the ‘premi-joda’ increases with the number of semesters and everyone finds something to stay smiling about. The unlucky guys, too, find luck somewhere else and settle down with their love. Thus, by the time the third year ends, 80% of the population have that someone special in their lives. The remaining 20% are just too careless or too unlucky to not be in the same crowd. But there is one bottom line that holds true- “EVERYONE, BE IT ANY BOY OR GIRL, DREAMS TO HAVE THAT SOMEONE SPECIAL IN LIFE.” (atleast once a semester). If you don’t believe me, try asking any IITian to give an honest answer on that one.
The fourth year is amongst the least happening in terms of hook-ups. Only a few get hitched, most of their partner being juniors with whom they had an interaction because they attended a ‘fakka’ course with them. The real happenings show up on the darker side. Everyone starts to concentrate on career, internships, jobs, CAT,etc. Suddenly, the value of money is understood and the feel to win the rat-race takes over. Love takes a backseat and thats the time when some of the couples break up. Some have distances creeping up while some find it really hard to manage the long-distance relationships now. Some start fighting too much while some just find that there is no X-factor left in the relationship to keep them motivated. To the parents’ surprise, the phone bills start coming down and their child starts to show some real maturity. Only the deep-in-love and strong couples manage to stand through the storm of career tensions. Some even go to the extent of sacrificing a well-paying job because they want a job where they are as near to their partner as possible while the daring ones decide to study together for two more years doing MBA from some IIM. Hence, after the season of break-ups in fourth year, only 50% of the population of a batch is still committed which also depreciates linearly as months progress.
In all this hullaboo, the females are the surely the ones living on the greener side of the grass. They have the option of choice, accept, reject, cancel, avoid, praise, abuse and what not! They always have a good number of idiots at their command for any help. They don’t have the tension to achieve expertise in umpteen number of computer games. They have the peer pressure to study because the other girl has finished the whole course. And, even then, they may never be the toppers but definitely have a much better average grade than their male counterparts.
But, in the duration of four years that are spent at IIT, the people that are never taken seriously are the guys. Thought to be in abandon, they are easily available and taken granted for. Thought to be the most intelligent bastards, they are hardly considered seriously. But, once people pass out, the guys are the ones whom they miss the most. Its only the guys with whom you spent 80% of the time in the campus. Its generally the guys whom you call your best-friend. Its only the guys whom you can blame for anything. Its only the guys on whom you can throw the filthiest of abuses and get the same in return and still remain the best of friends. Its only the guys with whom you can truly be what you are without caring about what the guy will think. Its only a guy whom you can disturb in the middle of night for even the stupidest of reasons and still get genuine help in return. Its only a guy with whom you share your deepest of secrets- even those where you acted like an asshole and still laugh about it. Its only the guys whom you miss the most after your degree. Its only the guys with whom you can have the weirdest of competitions like gaming, finishing seasons of serials, abuses, stupidity, etc. Its only the guys in front of whom you won’t ever feel hesitation. Its only the guys with whom you can fight your level best. Its only the guys who can’t object to any of your statement but instead give a better one in return. Its only a guy who does not mind even if he is made fun of. Its only a guy whom you can give bumps and kicks with your full strength. Its only a guy who lets you know your bad traits by funnily discussing it. Its only the guys who stays with you forever knowing what you truly are...
The guys- are indeed the silent contributors. They are present everywhere in the campus but are not taken seriously just like the air around us. Air is present everywhere but we don’t realize its importance till we feel lack of it. Just try imagining your campus life without all the guys for a minute. Were you able to imagine it...? This is to acknowledge all the guys’ silent contribution to our lives. How they make our time memorable and bearable...
HAIL - TO - ALL - THE - GUYS..!!!
We are great! Its just that we are too modest and busy to glorify or praise our contributions!!
************* T H E – E N D**************
P.S: This article is dedicated to the only friend of mine who does not have any girl in his friend list. Dude! You rock!
Note: This article in not meant to make any derogatory inference to anyone and has been written as a single person’s perception by a personally conducted research on a lot of IITians - both male and female. However, any offence or hurt of sentiments is not regretted. All the coincidences with reality are true and intentional.